Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The Constitution is something special

The U.S. Constitution, and the way it came about, is something of a miracle.  That's how I think of it.  That's how most people think of it  But that's not the way it's taught anymore.  Today it's taught as something that is just there in the way of us passing our selfish agenda, and if we need to we can change it and remake it.  Of course when you do that you water it down so it has no real meaning.

Look at the gay marriage argument.  In order for the judges to rule on gay marriage they had to find some way that it was contained in the Constitution, which it is not.  But they found a way, pulled it out of thin air, and somehow found a way that the 14th amendment says that gays have a constitutional right to marry.

So in order for this to happen, they had to water down the constitution.  They had to water down religious freedom and water down the freedom of speech.  This is the kind of thing people look at when they say they don't want to change tradition.  It's not that people are opposed to gay people.  It's not that they don't want gay people to share their lives.  It's that they don't want the greatest miracle ever written to become watered down so it has no meaning.

You know, words mean things.  But if you are going to adjust here, and tinker there, to make the Constitution say whatever you want it to say so you can get what YOU want, then it means nothing.  It's nothing but a piece of paper with words that mean nothing.

Believe it or not, there are people in this country who care about things larger than themselves.  When I wrote my list of priorities, I put God, Country, then wife and then my kids.  I don't even rate myself, nor what I want, in the top ten.  Somewhere in there I put my job, and my friends, and my parents, but no where do I even rank myself.  It's not that I don't care about myself, it's not that I don't have desires and wants, but I know that there are things larger than myself.

I know that if I change the Constitution to get what I want, then the next generation can change the constitution to get whatever they want -- and it may be far worse than gay marriage.  This is what I mean when I say that the Constitution is etched in stone, that it is effective for all time not to be changed. When it's etched in stone, when interpreted as written, it means something.  Now that you just change it to get your selfish desires, it means less.

The Constitution is one of those things that is larger than we are.  It should be around for many more years to come, but it might not be if we keep watering it down.  I don't look at the political system as a way I can get more stuff for myself.  Yet the left has used it to get gay marriage for itself.  It has abused the system. Justice Kennedy has abused the system.  They used the political system as a game, rather than something that means something.

Neither abortion nor marriage are mentioned in the Constitution.  And yet here you have the Supreme Court ruling on both of them as though they were  The 10th amendment states that what is not mentioned in the Constitution is left to the states to decide.

That's what was happening, and 36 states had changed the law so two men could marry.  But now the Supreme Court comes in and makes gay marriage legal in the other states without in any way considering the 10th amendment.  That's wrong.  It's happening because people are no longer taught that the constitution is special.

States lose their sovereignty in the process.  Many of the founders would not have signed the Constitution unless the states were able to hold onto their rights. They certainly wouldn't have signed onto it had they known judges would some day be able to make laws.

So my liberal friends say there will be no slippery slope whereby polygamy will be legalized, or priests will be told they have to marry gays. The point is it's going to happen precisely because the Supreme Court's decision on homosexual cannot say it can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment