Thursday, July 30, 2015

People used to have thick skin, were not offended by facts

The Manistee Chippewa's Logo used to be a colorful painting of this guy.
When I was a kid my grandma used to always (generalization I know) complain about my mom. It used to upset me, but I never said anything. After a while I realized my grandma was not going to stop complaining about my mom. I loved my grandma, so I developed thick skin. Sure it irritated me to a certain degree, but I got over it and went on with my life.

The same thing about things like the confederate flag. There are many people who think of the confederate flag as a symbol of the south more so than just a battle flag representing anti-slavery. Surely there are some people who saw it as otherwise, but they developed thick skin about it and went on with their lives.

The same thing with race.  There are people of all races and creeds in the U.S.  This is because we are a nation of immigrants.  In an all white town, if you were from Iran, you might have people, from time to time, ask you where you were from. Most people were proud to talk about where they were from.  Others not so much.  Regardless, people didn't get offended by it. Like with my grandma complaining about my mom, there was no way that an Iranian-American was going to get by without someone being curious and asking. So the Iranian-American just developed thick skin and went about his life.

This is no longer the case today.  Today people have so much time on their hands that they think they are offended by just about anything.  I don't think people are truly offended, it's just that the people who run the media, and particularly people running Washington are telling us that we ought to be offended about this or that.  They do this in order so that they can use this to push forth their agenda.

A perfect example is the confederate flag. Only a few people are offended by the flag, and for most of the past 150 years those who were offended just developed tough skin.  The Idea that Indians are offended by sports teams being named after them is another example.  Polls show that over 80% of Indians are not offended, but if you read accounts in the media you'd think they all were.  The truth is that most Americans are just fine with the nickname Redskins.

They are honored, in fact, when sports teams are nicknamed after them.  They are honored, because some Indians were fierce warriors, especially when it came to protecting nature and their tribes.  This is a fact.  Yet since we are told they are offended, teams like the Manistee Chippewas had to paint over nice paintings like the one shown in the picture.

Recently a waitress was fired because she wrote on her napkin, "Black couple."  She had to do this because it was a busy day and she needed to keep track of what went to what table.  She got fired because she wrote a fact on a sheet of paper.  Today, people are told they should be offended by facts, rather than developing thick skin.

It's in Obama's world that we are offended.  But we really aren't offended, we are just told we are. People in this nation need to stop listening to people telling us we are offended.  We need to stop being politically corre

1 comment:


  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete