Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Here's why I don't do Facebook

People at work ask me all the time why I don't do Facebook.  I usually tell them I have nothing useful to say.

The true reason is because I'm too busy for Facebook. I get up every morning and write, and then I spend time with my kids.  That doesn't leave any time for Facebook.

I usually do go to Facebook once or twice a week, and usually it's when I'm too tired to do anything useful. Then what I find is that every other update is from one or two people who seem to monopolize my Facebook page.  It's not that I'm not interested in what they have to say, but that I'd like to see what more than one or two people are up to.

There's also the fact that it appears that Facebook is merely just a place where people can advertise themselves.  This can be fine if it's a neat picture or two, but some people put junk that's not worth sharing and all it does is take up space so I can't get to stuff I'm interested in.

There are things I do like about Facebook.  I like that you can regain contact with friends you lost contact with years ago because Facebook didn't exist.  I like getting news, sports, and political updates.  I also like being able to easily message my friends, and to have an occasional chat online.

But the rest of Facebook, as far as I'm concerned, is not something I want to be pinned to for several hours a day.  I care about all the people who are my friends on Facebook, and even many I chose not to friend.  Yet I'm not a fan of updates that notify me of everything a person does on any given day.

Please take no offense if you are one of the culprits as this is merely my personal opinion, and does not in any way affect whether or not I like you.  Also, if you are the kind of person who constantly complain about those who have alternative opinions as you, I will block you too.

Chances are you will not know I did this, and it does not mean I don't like you.  As a conservative and libertarian, I do not want to shut up the voices of those who have alternative views, but if you even hint that you do you will be blocked. Sorry, that's just the way it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment