Monday, April 28, 2014

It's time to end class warfare, and stop hating the rich

They say it's not fair that the rich don't pay their fair share,
even though the top 50% pay 86% of the taxes. 
Just to be blunt here, I'm tired of people bashing the rich.  I'm tired of the class warfare where politicians pit the poor versus the rich.  I'm tired of people saying that it's not fair that the rich have so much money while the poor have so little.  I'm simply tired of it.

Instead of bashing the rich, we should set the rich up on a pedestal for our kids to see what can happen in America.  We should teach that anyone can become rich, all you have to do is work hard and be willing to relocate.

I think the reason for the class warfare is that some people actually believe, based on some idealist theory, that there is only so much money to go around, and if one person has a billion dollars, that's a billion dollars that other people can't have. They think that if one person is rich it's at the expense of everyone else.

But that couldn't be further from the truth.  The truth is that there is plenty of money in the pie, plenty of money for everyone to be rich.  That's what America is all about, creating equal opportunity for everyone.

One of my favorite quotes, and I can't remember who said it:
America is an idea: We promise equal opportunity, not equal results.
I love that quote.  Some people just don't get it.  They think America is about equal results, and so they take from those who have and give it to those who have not. That's where this idea about redistribution of wealth comes from.

But who creates all the jobs in the country?  I would be willing to bet that the poor don't create many jobs.  The people who create jobs are the middle class and the rich. The people who create jobs are the people who make money.

So, instead of trashing the rich, we should be thanking them.  They have made America what is is today.  They are the ones who have made America the greatest nation in the history of the world.

The rich are the reason we have iPods, and iPads, and Google Chrome books, and cable TV, and satellite TV, and computers, and Internet, and spaceships, and electricity, and what have you.  We all as a nation have made it possible, but the rich have made it real.

So, the next time you want to trash talk the people making most of the money, think again: thank them helping to make America the greatest nation in the world.

Rand Paul. It was my hero Rand Paul who said the above quote.  But I don't think the quote originated with him, but he was the most recent to talk about it.  I love it. I also love Rand Paul, and I pray someone like him becomes our next President, but I digress.

No comments:

Post a Comment