Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Should we just hand condoms out to our kids?

I remember when I was in college we had a class called "public speaking" where they taught us how to, well, speak in public.  There was this one kid who got up and he gave a presentation about AIDS, and how we need to teach our kids to wear condoms, and we need to create a safe environment for our kids to have sex, because, he said, "They are going to do it anyway."

So he gave this demonstration to us how to put on a condom.  He used a cucumber as the condom.  He said that kids are going to have sex anyway, so he said he lets his kids have sex in their bedrooms or the back seat of their car.  He said he did this because, "At least I know it's clean in my guest bathroom." 

I'm telling you, this is a true story.  I really had to endure this presentation.  I also had to grade his presentation.  All of us were responsible for not just giving a presentation, but grading it too.  Our grades were compiled and were factored into the final grade for the speaker's presentation.  

To be honest, I gave this guy an A because his presentation was great.  Now, when offering my opinion I disagreed with him, but I couldn't give someone a down grade just because I disagreed with him.  I mean, Obama is a great speaker.  His ideas are moronic, but he is a great speaker.  In other words, moronic views don't necessarily make a moronic speaker.  It's unfortunate, but it's true.  

So, anyway, this guy says, "Look, they're gonna have sex; we can't stop them," which was a liberal mantra back then that he was just picking up. "We can't stop 'em. They're going to do it. You can't stop it." 

After the class we were allowed to ask questions.  This was part of the grade, to ask, "Do you have any questions?"  

My friend who happened to be in the same class, a guy I really loved for his ability to think fast on his feet, said, "But wait a minute! Once they start smoking, you can't stop 'em. So why don't you put a pack of cigarettes on the nightstand for when they finish sex?"

The speaker was taken aback, and he said: "No, no. That's bad. We're not gonna let 'em smoke."

My friend said:  "Well, but you say they're gonna have sex no matter what." 

"Yeah, that's right." 

My friends point was brilliant.  He showed how arrogant and condescending the speaker was, and how wrong his argument was.

A better approach regarding this issue is to set a good example, take the time to educate your child about the advantages of abstinence, and make sure they know that if they do choose to ignore your wishes to wear a condom.

But don't make it easy on them by handing them out.  If they choose to do it, it should be an uncomfortable experience for them having to find condoms on their own.  Perhaps the added hassle with buy time for common sense to set in.

No comments:

Post a Comment