Saturday, March 8, 2014

What is American Exceptionalism?

It seems there are some Americans who have forgotten, or, perhaps, never learned, about American Exceptionalism.  As recently as 50 years ago we wouldn't even need to discuss this, but considering recent comments by President Obama, I'm thinking it's time for a refresher course.

Now, I want people to know that I'm not judging our President by my following comments, I'm merely using his words to make my point here.  This has nothing to do with whether or not I like his political agenda.  If George W. Bush had made similar comments, I would post them here too.

That said, President Obama recently said:
I believe in American exceptionalism just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism.
This statement pretty much proves to me that a) he has no idea what American exceptionalism is, or B) he misspoke. I'm not into speculating, so I don't care why he said them, just that he did say them.

So, if Obama is wrong, then what exactly is American Exceptionalism?

Here is the real definition:

American Exceptionalism: It's freedom and liberty. That's it. It's freedom and liberty.

So, here is a further explanation.

The majority of history was full of bondage and slavery. For most of history 99% of the people of any nation lived in poverty with no chance of improving their lots in life. For 99% of history only the 10% who lived in the aristocracy had a chance at a good education and a well paying job. So the majority of people throughout history have lived under tyranny and despots.

Then along came America where every person was granted the freedom and liberty he or she was born with. The U.S. was the first place in the world where the government did not take away freedom and liberty, and therefore every person had an equal opportunity to succeed in life.

American exceptionalism is the opportunity provided to every person who lives in America because of freedom and liberty. American exceptionalism is not what Obama says: " I believe in American exceptionalism just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism."

American Exceptionalism is not that we are better people. It is not that we are superior people. It is not that we are smarter people. It is not that God loves us and hates everybody else. It is not that God prefers us. It is not that God doesn't prefer anybody else.

It is nothing more than the equal opportunity afforded to all who live among the American borders because our government does not and cannot (and this was ultimately guaranteed by the signing of the U.S. Constitution om 1787) make any efforts to take away our God given rights to freedom and liberty.

No comments:

Post a Comment