Friday, October 19, 2018

6 Benefits Of Quitting Alcohol For A Month

So, I made it a month-and-a half without drinking. That's 42 days. It's a record for me. Woo Hoo! So, how different do I feel?

1. Pride. There's the pride. I'm not necessarily a proud person. But, going a month and a half is something to be proud of. So, I'm not going to under play the sense of accomplishment I feel. If you manage to quit doing something that's a habit for you, it's something worth being proud about. And, considering I drank since I was 18, that's a 30 year habit. It's not easy to quit a 30-year-old habit.

2. Weight Loss. I lost ten pounds. Like, I was able to give 100% to my weight loss program. Think of it this way. Every alcoholic beverage has 70-130 calories (or more). You have 2-8 drinks in an evening. You lose the ability to discipline yourself, so you tend to eat a bunch of junk. You have the urge to eat greasy burgers the next day. Now, you take all those calories out of your diet, and you're going to lose weight regardless of whether you diet or workout. Now, add in diet and workout as I have. Like, that's ten pounds lost in a month language there.

3.  Euphoria. Pride in itself brings a sense of improved well-being. An increased sense of well-being is also a benefit to exercising. So, it makes sense that you feel better overall. You have a better sense of your status in life. I'm not saying you're not humble, by no means is that what I'm saying. You just feel better.

4.  More energy. So, alcohol causes fatigue. It makes you tired after you drink. It also makes you tired the next day. This is regardless of how much you drink. And so, quit drinking, and you have more energy. And I can attest to that.

5.  More Time. You don't drink, you turn those hours that you used to drink into productive time. You also change the next mornings. No longer are you too tired to get up early. You don't have to sleep it off. So, you turn mornings into productive times rather than recovery times. This is one of the key benefits of quitting. I find that I write more. I find I feel better when I'm working. I find that I can work longer. A day has the same number of hours, but you make better use of those hours.

6.  Increased Productivity. Add increased sense of well-being, increased energy, and more time, and you get increased productivity. You can simply do way more in a 24 hour day. You can work more. You can get more done. You can make more money. I have definitely observed the benefits here.

What to make of this? This is my take on it. This is how I feel one month into it. This may not be how you will feel when you quit or a month. I focused solely on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment