Saturday, September 16, 2017

Country Before Family?

I was taught at a young age the priorities of life: God, Country, Spouse, Children, Other People, Other Things. One of my friends recently tried to tell me that country does not come before spouse. I beg to differ.

And these priorities change during the course of your life. For instance, in childhood, your parents would replace spouse. When you're a kid you respect your parents; you do what your parents tell you to do before you do what you want to do.

And, to further add to this, these are priorities handed down by the Bible. My point is, they weren't just made up.

So, anyway, my friend said that spouse comes before country. I blew that statement right out of the water. I said, "If spouse comes before country, then we would have no country. If you have no country, then you have no marriage."

"Oh, that ain't true," my friend said.

I said, "Think of it this way. Say all men and women were married at the age of 17. At the age of 18, your country calls you to battle. If marriage came before country, no one would be available to fight. So, in order to prevent chaos, the country has to come before your spouse."

Either way, this is debated across the Internet spectrum. Many people put family before country. Some polls show people put family before country. However, a 2010 poll found that Americans tend to put country before family.

But I'm not concerned about polls. The opinion of the masses doesn't matter when you're standing at the pearly gates of Heaven. What matters is what God wants. What matters is common sense. And common sense says that if you put your family before country, chaos is a potential outcome.

This is not to say you shouldn't love your family. A family is very important. Studies overwhelmingly show the benefits of having a mom and a dad. However, the country has to come first.

You have to defend liberty whenever it needs to be defended. And what nation is the greatest proponent of liberty in the history of the world? It is America. As Patrick Henry once chimed, "Give me liberty or give me death!"

No comments:

Post a Comment