I think that the calls to screen out fake news are merely efforts by leftists and leftist groups to stop voices they don't want to hear; it's efforts to shut up opposing viewpoints. It's efforts to shut up people like Rush Limbaugh. Worse, it's efforts to shut out voices like Breitbart and Infowars.
The real fake news is the mainstream media. If they were accurate, credible, trustworthy and fair in their reporting, it would be easy to screen out fake news. Yet since the mainstream media is so poor at doing their job, people hold the New York Times on the same level as some guy reporting the news from his bedroom. I mean, that's how bad it's gotten.
Personally, in the run up to the 2016 election, I did not pay much attention to mainstream media polls, and instead relied on secondary media outlets. They actually gave me optimism and hope. And, as it turns out, they were more right than the mainstream media.
You see, according to the mainstream media...
- Donald Trump had no road to 270, as close to 90% of polls showed that Donald Trump had no way of becoming President and that Hillary Clinton had a 90% chance of winning.
- The Russians Hacked the election and a majority of people in this country think this is a serious issue.
- Jill Stein called for a recount, and the media covered this as though it actually had a chance to work in order to delegitimatize Donald Trump. The truth is this entire story was a hoax and had no chance to work.
- Putin says he would like to build up his nuclear weapons. Trump says he would invite another nuclear arms race. What he meant by this is he would like to build up our military in a strategy called "Peace through strength. You create weapons so you don't have to use them. It's called deterrence. But the media acts like Trump is going to get us into a nuclear war. However, they never worry about Iran or North Korea causing a nuclear war. That's because they believe we are the cause of the world's problems. They create this fake story to make it look like Trump wants to start a nuclear war to make him look bad.
- Polls showed Donald Trump would lose Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconson, and it wouldn't even be close.
- The media said Texas was in play. The truth is that Trump won their handedly.
- Michael Brown had his hands up and said, "Don't Shoot!" This was after he was shot by a police officer in Ferguson, Missouri. Turns out "Hands up, don't shoot!" It never happened. His hands were not up. Michael Brown was not running away from the police officers. His hands were not up. Everyone was lying about it. And this lie became so bad that football players, news ancors, all made light of this by putting their hands up. And it was all based on a lie. And it's a lie that was never corrected by the same media that lied about it.
- George Bush served dishonorably in the Air Force Reserve. This was according to Dan Rather in what became known as Rathergate.
- It's fair to publish republican Donald Trump's taxes without his approval, but it's unfair to publish emails leaked about Hillary Clinton by Wikileaks. The Times reported the taxes, but barely mentioned the leaked emails.
- Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. They never did their own research, and never criticized this until after the War in Iraq was ongoing.
- They did not criticize comments about Obamacare by Obama such as "If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor," and "Healthcare costs will go down once Obamacare is passed." Both turned out to be lies the media never even considered questioning because they all wanted it to pass so badly.
- They gladly reported Hillary's lie that a video was responsible for Benghazi.
- Fox news is liberal. The problem here is they confuse editorial shows with news shows. Actually, it was Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama who started this fake news story; they came up with it. Then, without questioning it, the media just took off with it. The true story was reported elsewhere: that Benghazi was the result of a terrorist attack. Four men died. They asked for increased security prior to the attacks. Hillary Clinton failed to listen to them. They all died. Then this fake story came out. If it wasn't for the so called "fake news" on the right, the true story of what happened never would have gotten out. This is why the mainstream media has lost credibility.
- George Zimmerman was guilty based on a tape unprofessionally edited by NBC News.
- Allegations by various women accusing Trump of sexual crimes were accurate enough to report. It's funny that Trump is a billionaire who has been in the news since I was in college in 1988, and there was never one sex allegation. And then, coincidentally, a month prior to the election there are several, and the media just goes with them as though they were facts. That's fake news.
- The New York Times is no longer objective. They reported this in a front piece article by Jim Rutenberg. They said they had to abandon principles of journalism because Donald Trump was too dangerous and had to be stopped.
- The New York Times has been objective for a long, long time. They have not, but have portrayed themselves as objective. They have been so bias that their reporters don't know the difference between an editorial page and news. They are unable to keep their editorial opinions out of their news articles. I will give examples of this in a later post. Anyway, objectivity is what gave the New York Times credibility and it's gone. It's why the media is in the shape it is today, and why Fox News is now the leading news outlet, and what gave rise to conservative voices such as Drudge, Rush Limbaugh, Breitbart, and Infowars.
- The economy is doing great right now. The White House reports a 4.5% unemployment rate and says the economy is good, and the media goes along with it rather than investigating the numbers. They do this in lieu of reporting that 94 million Americans are no longer in the workforce, and if these were added into the 4.5% the unemployment rate would be greater than 20%, which puts the number of unemployed at a rate similar to what was seen during the height of the great depression. But if you read the New York Times you wouldn't know.
- Brian Williams of NBC Nightly News was part of the news he was reporting. He ended up being fired because it turned out that he was making it all up.
- MSNBC host said Fox News held its Christmas party at one of Trump's hotels. The truth is that Fox News didn't even hold their Christmas party yet.
- Hillary Clinton reported that the Russians hacked the DNC Committee computers and were responsible for leaked emails. The media just went with it as though the Russians really did this. The media went with it because the wanted Trump to lose so badly.
- The democrats lost because the Russians Hacked the election. Hillary Clinton reported that she lost because the Russians hacked voting machines. The media went with this also in a last ditch effort to keep Donald Trump out of the White House. In order to maintain the integrity of voting, according to Greenhouse party candidate Jill Stein (who got less than 1% of the vote and has no chance of gaining enough votes to win). The recounts showed that Trump was the one who lost votes, not Stein or Clinton. Trump picked up votes in 2 of the 3 states.
- Republicans are supporting the effort to look into Russian hacking of voting machines. This is not true. It was only two republican senators -- Lindsay Graham and John McCain -- and not republicans in general. It was not the republican party, it was two establishment republicans who hate Donald Trump and would do anything to keep him out of the White House.
It used to be if the New York Times, CBS, ABC, and NBC said something, it was believed. That's not the case anymore. There is no news organization that is credible and believable, and that's why the so-called "fake news" has sprung up.