If you want to be the best person you can be.... Id you want to be seen by others in a positive light... If you want to give yourself the best chance of being observed by the bosses, and the best chance of moving up the latter... if you want to get to Heaven, there are basically 2 things you need to do:
- Love God with all your mind, heart and soul
- Love your neighbor with all your mind heart and soul.
So now we must define love. What is love?
Love is not an emotion or a feeling. Love is a choice. You have to choose to make sacrifices to put other people before yourself.
Examples of this include:
1. A doctor writes a stupid order. Instead of complaining, you treat the doctor with love and respect.
2. So you and your wife go to a baseball game and it's 90 degrees. It's the best game you've ever watched, and you want to stay. Yet your wife wants to leave in the 5th inning. So you sacrifice the game to make your wife happy. You choose your wife over your game.
3. It's 90 degrees out and you want to sit inside in the air conditioning, yet in order to put food on the table you decide not to purchase air conditioning. You are frugal for love of your family. You choose your family over your own comfort.
4. It's 90 degrees out and you want to blog or gossip online, yet your son wants to play catch with you. Even though you're sweating your butt off, you play catch with a smile on your face.
Bottom line: It's important you keep your priorities in the right order, and God and other people are right up there at the top.
If you love God and other people before all else, you should have to make no further effort at improving your image, the way people view you historically (note to politicians), and your ability to view your own life as a success.